After what seems like forever, I’m finally pretty settled in my new place. I’ve moved many times before but this move was really the perfect storm of a move. The worst is behind me and I’m finally venturing back into my studio. It’s always so hard to jump back into work after a long time away from the table. The image shown is the first work in progress post move!
My original intent was for each of these to remain separate – mini works that I planned as prototypes for larger tiles. However during the entire process they just seemed to want to stay together. What was once separate units have merged into one piece.
If you missed it, there are earlier posts that show these at various stages.
Here’s the finished sculpture married to its wooden outgrowth. Detail shot is from last week’s firing showing the piece straight out of the firing. I never like adding titles to my work but these wood/clay pieces seem to want titles. This series is inspired by all the wonderful fungi you can find growing in woodlands.
Kilns loaded with ware and firing. Sawdust and newspaper nestle around the work. I place combustibles with an idea of where I want the heaviest smoke coverage. It doesn’t always work out like I want it to but it gives me a small measure of control.
I use acrylic stains to add color to my work. Years ago in an effort to have more time building pieces, I abandoned some traditional ceramic techniques. I still occasionally use glazes but since my work is non-functional I am not limited in how I finish pieces. Painting surfaces is quick and immediate and frees up more time for construction.